PTIC invites proposals for undergraduate translation projects to be taken in Summer 2023. We encourage students to undertake translation projects, deepening their engagement both with the languages they work in, and with the creative act of translation. Priority will be given to students currently pursuing the certificate in PTIC, but we encourage anyone with an interest in translation to apply, even those who have never had formal experience with translating texts.
Apply through SAFE. Submit a proposal of approximately 500 words. Please include:
- a description of the text you plan to translate and why you think it worth translating;
- the approximate length (try to choose something substantial, but not so long that you can’t complete the project);
- your knowledge of the language(s) in question;
- your prior experience with translation;
- a statement whether you are undertaking this translation as part of your independent work for your department, and whether it has been supported by any other University funding.
Students are welcome to translate from and into any languages, and choose texts of any genre, including non-literary texts.
- An Exploration of Arabic Sudanese Poetry
- Translation of two works by Sylviane Dupuis (French)
- Translation of Premchand’s Short Stories (Hindi)
- Translating Isaac Babel’s Short Stories (Russian)
- Translation of "Las Valadoras" by Monica Ojeda (Spanish)
- Translation of Dostoevsky's "Dream of a Ridiculous Man" (Russian)
Contact Yolanda Sullivan
Open: March 1, 2023
Deadline: April 30, 2023